Friday, October 24, 2014

Advocacy a Waste of my Time

This is the last post on the BuildBetterSchools blog that will disappear on October 26th. Most of its contents is now available here at The School Buzz, but this post was my last one there, to voice my opinion on how advocating/fighting for quality schools that serve the common good will remain a dream, because not enough people are united for the cause, and many are misguided about what quality education is. 

After advocating for my own, and then also for other kids for twenty years , I have come to the sad conclusion that my time was utterly wasted. Why did it take me so long to realize that no matter what committee a parent serves on, and no matter what useful information or research they bring to the table, their opinions are simply ignored. Is it because of the infinite hope we cling to that surely some day things will be different?

Is school today really that much different, never mind better, from when you were 'educated'? I bet not, especially not right now with all the testing, the lock-step schedules and the scripted lessons that quash authentic learning in classrooms across the nation! Thankfully my kids escaped that fate while they were in elementary school. Thankfully they played in kindergarten, had recess, and were lucky to be able to learn through projects, not just books and computers.

I wanted my children's  school experience to be much better than it had been for me, so I became an involved parent. But, all my time invested in attending school accountability meetings and schoolboard meetings, was for naught. If anything, schools are now worse for kids, toxic even!

One positive thing came out of my involvement.  I got passionate about education. I felt like I was in hog heaven each time I visited my local university's library. I had access to many good and interesting books by notable authors and experts. I became knowledgeable about education, but how many others do? Certainly not the people who serve on schoolboards and in the legislature who make policies and laws, and who heed the wishes and demands from business and corporations rather than the advice from education experts whose warnings and suggestions are willfully ignored! Their books are collecting dust on library shelves. Some had never even been checked out,  others just a handful of times, and this at a university that focuses on teacher education!

A few other longtime advocates and activists I know, also see that improving education is  a near impossible feat. They fear though that showing their discouragement will dash the hope of others. But, should we keep ignoring the fact that no one in charge of public education, at any level, really cares about what child development experts and neuroscientists say that children need to learn best and thrive holistically?

Only a paradigm shift in education will truly benefit the common good, but will not happen unless a critical mass of people demand it. Almost all of us were raised to unquestioningly respect authority, so it is uncomfortable to request changes. Many parents are apprehensive of going into a school to talk to the principal as memories  from their own school days  of being subjugated may resurface. Few adults reach the level of self-esteem and self-confidence to dare advocate for their own child. Fewer still dare question the whole concept of mandatory education!

The intent of  education is believed by many to give children broad experiences so they can become literate in the truest sense, to learn to think , question, analyze, conclude, and  to help make their own life and society better for all. But, John Taylor Gatto argues  that public schools were  meant to serve the needs of the ruling elites, by teaching the kids of lower socioeconomic classes to conform.  I agree!

Many times I heard teachers talking about the importance of instilling "work ethic" in high school students, and, to my amazement, many parents agree with that! It is instilled by means of meting out punitive grades for homework not done (or handed in just one minute late) which result in a lowered GPA even if the scores on tests and quizzes are all A's.

Work ethic, as a major goal of schooling, likely stems from the beginning of the 20th century when schools already were heavily influenced by the nation's first industrialists who needed skilled laborers to work in their factories. When Frederick W. Taylor introduced his principles of scientific management which were to increase production with less waste and fewer costs, those were also used to make schools run more efficiently. Learning had to be done for a specific purpose inside strict parameters, and that concept has not changed over the decades. Kids still have to learn this, and disregard that, even if they are interested more in that than this. It is a good way to ensure that many dislike school and do not learn much substance. The situation is worse now with the many standardized tests kids need to take each year.

One mom, who has tried tirelessly to inform parents that opting their kids out of the state testing is possible, said:
"I've been trying for more than 7 years here ... to convince parents to band together against testing but schools are closing right and left and charters springing up everywhere in my home district. I and a teacher here in town hosted an opt out event, put out flyers, advertised on the radio, invited everyone we knew and absolutely NO ONE showed up. I cannot tell you how discouraging that was. I've given out leaflets at schools. I don't know what else I can do. I'm tired. So I have a public Facebook page and I post. ..I don't want anyone to think I'm giving up; though I think it's a David and Goliath battle."

"We're winning small battles here and there but it's going to be years; as many as it took us to get this far.... There are more and more parents opting out every year but no one seems to want to band together; at least not here. They don't want to call attention to themselves. So, whenever I get the opportunity, I spread the word; while my kids and my husband roll their eyes and find the door."

I told her I admire her for her tenacity, and that a bit of her discouragement should be shared.

Perhaps it will shake some awake!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some of the many good books I have read:

  • All work and no play..How educational Reforms are harming our Preschoolers by Sharna Olfman

  • Education's Missing Ingredient by Victoria M. Young

  • Educational Genocide by Horace (Rog) Lucido

  • Endangered Minds by Jane M. Healy

  • Free to LEARN; Why Unleashing the Instincts to Play Will Make Our Children Happier, More Self-Reliant, and better Students for Life by Peter Gray,

  • Insult to Intelligence - Frank Smith
  • Life in Schools - An Introduction to Critical Pedagogy by Peter McLaren (Life in Schools has been named one of the 12 most significant writings worldwide in the field of educational theory, policy and practice by an international panel of experts)

  • Seeds of Tomorrow by Angela Engel

  • Wounded by School by Kirsten Olson

  • The Education of Sam Sanders by T.S. Poetter


And many others by Diane Ravitch, John Holt, Alfie Kohn, John Taylor Gatto, and more!







No comments: